Thursday, December 31, 2009

What's the best and worst relationship advice your mom ever gave you?

Maybe your mom's the first person you dial with a dating dilemma. Maybe you'd never want her to know the details of your love life. Either way, I bet she has offered you some strong opinions about men 鈥?whether you asked for them or not.





Looking back, do you wish you had listened when she told you to never date an artist?





Was she right all along about never going to bed angry?





Did she tell you to ';play hard to get'; 鈥?and do you?What's the best and worst relationship advice your mom ever gave you?
The best advice my mother ever gave to me was to treat others as you wish to be treated back.





Don't be afraid to dream big.





Love God.





If it doesn't work out, try again.What's the best and worst relationship advice your mom ever gave you?
My mom always asked me to choose the best guy of which i think was the best advice and there was no worse advice
the only advise my mum ever gave me about dating is ';don't ever have sex it's to messy and very disappointing and not worth the hassle thar come's with it'; i was 12 when i got that but now 12 years later i disagree and now all my mum say's when i start to date a guy is ';i hope it work's out for you'; and then when it don't she'll say ';well i knew it wouldn't any way';
';Don't ever chase after a man and don't ever be subservient to one. It will lay the foundations for him to walk all over you for the rest of your life.'; Needless to say... Being a teenager, I knew best and got into a really emotionally (and later physically) abusive 3 year relationship. I've been listening to my wonderful mum ever since!
Best advice: she told me never to get married because I had to, but because I wanted to. She got married to my dad just so she could get out of the house. I don't think she ever loved him and she didn't want that to happen to me. (And it hasn't!)


She also told me to always be myself. And she was right--I did have one relationship where I tried to be what he wanted--luckily it didn't last long. It's so much better to figure out in the beginning if you are right for each other--if you try to change him or yourself, neither of you will be happy.


Thank you, Mom!
Never had any advice and probably would have ignored it if I had. You have to use your own instincts in this world.
My mother never involved herself in my love life until it ended. She's the type of person to let me make my own decisions and learn from failure. When it ended, she would talk to me about it. Only time she got involved was when I was doing something distructive.
Worst was none and the best was none


she never has
My Mom's only advice was: ';Never marry the first guy you fall in love with - play the field';. I took her advice. I played the field, literally, and always wondered if she was referring to her own life. She and Dad have been together for almost 60 years.
Moms they really seem to care for us there daughter not to get hurt and get into a compromising situation becoz it will hurt then to see us suffer from...its also good to listen to your mom and to hear some right stuff...they would always say this there is no bad advice a mom can give...and its true....they have a higher instinct than us based on there experience....i know it hard to open a communication between you and your mom when it comes to love life...but try to listen to what she would say so she would as well listen to you....looking back yes shes right in about what she thinks about those guys i am with b4,then yes its not really right going to bed angry coz u will not be able to sleep and yes he does tell me to get to know the guy first a bit more and play hard to get becoz u will know then what the guy is real intention.
I just believe the best advise is what yourself experiences because there you learn a lesson and later one tries to correct from the mistake.
All my mom's advices so far have been amazing, I guess it comes from experiences and 33 yrs of happy marriage to my dad.





Anyhow ...





Some advices mom gave me, which I found out later to be a really good advices are


';Never go to bed angry with your partner';


';Never be in the relationship without future';


';Don't let men step on you and vice versa';


';Don't be in a relationship with someone too long, either get married or break up'; --%26gt; this last one was completely true because I broke up with my ex after 5 yrs.





I'm sure she has given me more advices, but can't really think of more at the moment.
My mom is always a good sounding board for me. She always listens and even tells me when I'm wrong. She always raised me to be able to take care of myself and my kids, God forbid anything should happen. I never played hard to get, but, most guys were intimidated by me, until I met my husband 19 years ago.
Best: I have no idea.





Worst: She told me ';not to talk too much'; when I was planning to go out with a former crush and a friend of ours. This is difficult for me, because I REALLY like to talk. Besides, that's what the guy liked about me.
I have never actually been in a relationship - I'm still only 17. My mum and I are quite close but when we disagree on something we REALLY disagree. The best advice she gave me was ';If a man says 'If you loved me you would sleep with me', say in return 'If you loved me you'd wait for me'.'; The worst advice was when I told her that I was bisexual, and she told me I couldn't possibly know at my age and I was probably just going through a phase I will grow out of. (This is not true. I happen to be in love with my closest friend and have been for at least half a year, and I waited about a year to tell my mum anyway.)

No comments:

Post a Comment