Monday, December 28, 2009

Do you think Y!A is the best place to come for ';medical'; advice from other parents?

i have seen so many ';medical'; questions here on yahoo in the parenting section.... when you see these questions...do you honestly listen to the answers?? or are you just curious as to what other parents are doing??Do you think Y!A is the best place to come for ';medical'; advice from other parents?
I think it's a good place to come for suggestions and help, when you'd like fast answers, or if you're mildly worried.


I remember being paranoid that I had food poisoning, when my youngest was a few weeks old, and asked whether breastfeeding could make him sick too- after reading all the logical answers I realized I had nothing to worry about, and had no need to call a doctor.


I don't take anything here as gospel- Yahoo is obviously not a replacement for a visit to the ER, or a call to your doctor, but for less serious issues, it's a good way to get information.





When it comes to people asking questions like ';Oh my god! My daughter is not breathing and is having a seizure, what do I do??'; I have to roll my eyes and hope they're trolls.Do you think Y!A is the best place to come for ';medical'; advice from other parents?
well, such a high percentage of answers on here are right that it's worth the risk. :-P





i might ask a question that's vaguely medical on here if i had already decided it wasn't worth going to the doctor over (or had already scheduled an appointment) and just wondered what other people's experience was. i asked a question about tics once, for example, when i knew i was going to have to wait a while for an appointment to get the real answer for my son and i was trying to decide how much to panic in the meantime.





no, i'm not going to rely on ';Na's Anatomy'; for anything life-threatening.
I use it in the pregnancy section. I bring everything up to my doctor at my appointments but if it's something that's not an emergency I tend to ask around because chances are someones been through it. Like my blood work came back negative for having immunity to rubella so I asked and one girl had all the information I couldn't find. I should have asked my doctor when he sent me for the test but I figured it was a normal blood test until I couldn't find information on it.





Little stuff like that I ask and sometimes get great advice, but when people on there are asking ';is this a miscarriage'; ';I'm having severe bleeding'; ';I'm having horrible cramps'; things like that I always advise to call their doctor..
good grief, woman! are you suggesting that i go to the doctor for medical advice????!!!!


lol!





i look at YA as nothing more than an opinion generator. i do ask medical questions here but only those that i feel are not deathly serious. usually, my questions would be on home remedies and healthcare suggestions that would give me peace of mind. if i see questions that i have an experience on, sure, i do answer. the trollish medical questions are easy to spot. i answer those with the sarcasm of a witch.
I think it can be helpful for small things. I asked a question once about why my daughter has black rings around her eyes (since birth)- if anyone had any ideas, since several doctors told me it was nothing to worry about. Some people gave me some good info (good enough to google and research) but it wasn't a *big* medical problem or anything. Actually, not a true medical issue, at all.





For little things, yahoo can be a good starting point or arm you with info or questions to at least ask your doctor.





As a way to diagnose? Never.
If I was to ask a ';medical'; question on here, it would be something that I wanted to know, but didn't feel it was important enough to call the doctors office.


When I ask questions, I don't necessarily do what the answers say, but like to hear other parents opinions and ideas.
i just like to see what others say. if it's nothing major i ask it. sometimes i'm too afraid to ask a doctor face to face so i ask it here instead lol. i get embarrassed easily
lol are you saying its not? Are you saying we should perhaps take medical questions to actual medical doctors? Silly girl!
No. That is what a doctor is for.
Some doctors don't have a brain in their skull.

No comments:

Post a Comment